Re: Beware! the days of Oracle may be numbered

From: Tuomas Hosia <hosia_at_lut.fi>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:07:34 GMT

"KeyStroke (Jack L. Swayze Sr.)" <KeyStrk_at_Feist.Com> kirjoitteli seuraavaa:

>Tuomas Hosia wrote:
>>
>> "KeyStroke (Jack L. Swayze Sr.)" <KeyStrk_at_Feist.Com> wrote :
>>
>> Hmm ... I'd say you have Microsoft-only view. PC's are not going to be
>> tha main platform for databases and there are no MS-products to real
>> computers. PC:s have lot of CPU-power but IO is horrifying, by desing.
>
>Guess what? the same thing was said about Unix machines by the Mainframe
>bigots. and guess what, it was true, and guess what, it didn't matter because
>the Unix machines were cheaper. "those who live by the sword...."

And still there are many many mainframes. When you have a lot to do, you use big tools and PC is very small tool. Lot of small tools can help if they are designed for that,but MS-products are not, they are basically one-user software by design.

>> Yes. And where do you find a company who can afford to sue Microsoft?
>> Everybody who thinks otherwise can't calculate.
>
>Suing, and coming out better for it, for breech of contract is a lot different
>than suing for antitrust laws. Chances are that MS would come to an agreement
>on a breech of contract a lot sooner than coming to agreement on something as
>far-reaching as an antitrust case.

And when MS has done that? As far as I know, they've never done anything like that.

One other thing : If you read software licence very carefully, it explicitly states that Microsoft isn't responsible for anything, so you can't sue them for contract inbreachment. (or anything else, according the licence).

It's no coincidence that MS has very large and highly capable juristic department. They don't have to agree anything.

>> Which are the advantages then?
>>
>> Easier to learn, maybe. If there are others, I'd like to hear them.
>
>Integration, integration, integration. What most of us, who use computer
>software, mostly find valuable they provide. MS is the best at getting
>disparate software to work seamlessly together.

Integration with what? It isn't a desktop application and it's much less integrated with NT than Oracle already is. So?

Tightly integrated system as a concept is humongous error. It just takes a while to comprehend. ( As can be seen in consumer audio : only low-cost, mass market products are highly integrated. )

And there are no MS-products which would work 'seamlessy together'. None. Office isn't (version changes are usually one-way) and others don't even claim that.

How do MS-Mail and Outlook Express work together? Both are mailing software, aren't they?

Or 98 and NT which can't even read each others disk formats? (VFAT and NTFS)

You not only lying, you are repeating MS's own mediahype, which is still worse. Who are exactly 'the most of us'? 95/98 users generally don't understand a thing about databases.

'The most of us' should refer to database administrators, not std-users.Capable DBA wouldn't even look at MS-products, not before they start to make reliable software, which isn't going to happen soon.

Either your message is a troll or you can't tell facts from hype and either way, this discussion won't get us anywhere.

>> I already know that SQL-Server corrupts data (has 'dirty' reads and
>> it's on by default) and has same quality standards as other Microsoft
>> products, which are almost useless.
>
>Oh? Provide documentation. I would like to see your direct evidence of your
>_own_ experiments.

You mean I should _buy_ multithousand dollar program I already know is technically seriously flawed and works only on MS-platform?

No, thank you. (If you want documentation about dirty reads, just use dejanews, it was discussed here few weeks ago.)

My own experience is from MS-Office, which I have to use 5 days a week, that's evidence enough.
I'd never buy anything from company which flagship is Office, which is a collection of bugs and not needed features.

Tuomas
--

hosia_at_lut.fi(Tuomas Hosia) DoD#1684   \ On paljon hauskempi olla pakanana,
Lappeenranta University of Technology \ ei tarvitse koskaan olla vakavana.