Re: Orphaned Row Locks

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:30:03 +0800

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> A copy of this was sent to Denny Koovakattu <denny_vk_at_my-dejanews.com>
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:07:07 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >Thomas,
> >
> >Dead connection detection will work if the client ( assuming it's a PC running
> >Windows ) shuts off the machine. If only the session is terminated abnormally
> >and Windows is still running, I believe it doesn't work. Is this a bug or a
> >problem with any specific version of sqlnet ? I can't check it now as I had
> >this problem at my previous job.
> >

> unless the tcp/ip stack isn't working correctly -- when we write a packet to the
> client and the client isn't there and the socket is gone, we would get a write
> error. If the tcp socket is still there but the client is gone -- it would not
> get an error.
>
> If windows is keeping the socket active and alive after the client that opened
> it is gone, there is not much we can do to detect that the client is 'gone'.
> Perhaps the .dlls of your application stayed loaded after the GPF or whatnot.
>
> >Denny
> >
> >In article <36f93721.34768724_at_192.86.155.100>,
> > tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
> >> A copy of this was sent to clifford_at_bang.com (Clifford)
> >> (if that email address didn't require changing)

> >> have you looked into dead client detection with sqlnet?
> >>
> >> <quote>
> >> Timer Initiated Disconnect or Dead Connection Detection (SQL*Net
> >> release 2.1 and later only).
> >>
> >> Dead connection detection is a feature that
> >> allows SQL*Net to identify connections that have been left hanging by
> >> the abnormal termination of a client. On a connection with Dead
> >> Connection Detection enabled, a small probe packet is sent from server
> >> to client at a user–defined interval (usually several minutes). If the
> >> connection is invalid (usually due to the client process or machine being
> >> unreachable), the connection will be closed when an error is generated
> >> by the send operation, and the server process will exit.
> >> </quote>
> >>
> >> Thomas Kyte
> >> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> >> Oracle Service Industries
> >> Reston, VA USA
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://govt.us.oracle.com/ -- downloadable utilities

> >http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own
>

> Thomas Kyte
> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Service Industries
> Reston, VA USA
>
> --
> http://govt.us.oracle.com/ -- downloadable utilities

> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation

We have observed similar behaviour...

If an end-user on a PC takes locks and then bombs out in some way (say Ctrl-Alt-Del) then unless they actually leave their machine switched off (or at least un-ping-able) for 5 mins or so (our dead-connect-time is 5mins) then the locks remain...

--

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology