Re: Beware! the days of Oracle may be numbered

From: Tuomas Hosia <hosia_at_lut.fi>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:36:48 GMT

"KeyStroke (Jack L. Swayze Sr.)" <KeyStrk_at_Feist.Com> wrote :

>You and I see two opposing trends. Perhaps the difference is that my viewpoint
>is from the perspective of ultra-conservative 'corporate america' companies.

Hmm ... I'd say you have Microsoft-only view. PC's are not going to be tha main platform for databases and there are no MS-products to real computers. PC:s have lot of CPU-power but IO is horrifying, by desing.

>I would grant that things like internet start-ups (which, who knows, may be here
>today, gone tomorrow) do seem to be gravitating towards, as you phrase it, the
>"Open Source paradigm". However, let me assure you that ultra-conservative
>companies, like the one I work for, are standardizing on everything Microsoft.
>You see, there is one, really big, disadvantage to Linux, or other such
>software. It is this:
>
>If there is no company that _owns_ the software you are using, then there is no
>company you can sue when things go terribly wrong, or when it doesn't perform to
>your expectations.

Yes. And where do you find a company who can afford to sue Microsoft? Everybody who thinks otherwise can't calculate.

The governement has extreme difficulties and it has unlimited wealth.

Purely theoretical chance, I'd say.

You are satisfied with what you get from Microsoft or you don't buy from them. There are no alternatives and you can't do anything about it.

So MS's biggest 'advantage' is purely theoretical and offers no advantage whatsoever over Linux.

Which are the advantages then?

Easier to learn, maybe. If there are others, I'd like to hear them.

I already know that SQL-Server corrupts data (has 'dirty' reads and it's on by default) and has same quality standards as other Microsoft products, which are almost useless.

>The trend I am seeing is that conservative companies are moving away from not
>having anyone to sue (regarding computing resources) and towards giving
>themselves the option to sue someone when things don't go their way.

Big companies can afford to sue Oracle but no-one can afford to sue Microsoft, that's the difference. Somebody who thinks otherwise is and will be wrong, at least 10 years.

So this argument of yours is actually pro-Oracle, even if you didn't mean it to be.

Tuomas
--

hosia_at_lut.fi(Tuomas Hosia) DoD#1684   \ On paljon hauskempi olla pakanana,
Lappeenranta University of Technology \ ei tarvitse koskaan olla vakavana.