Re: New RAID Design for DB ?

From: Martin Haltmayer <Martin_Haltmayer_at_in.augsburg.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:04:37 -0500

I assume you mean RAID 5 by "RAID".

Because redo logs are written to sequentially and read from only in case of recovery, as far as I know.

RAID 5 does not have its strength in sequential writing as it would impose writing to at least two disks (the data and the checksum) in changing orders.

Oracle recommends at least two members per redo log group. This behaves like software mirroring. So perhaps you only use one member per redo log group and use hardware mirroring.

Martin

Alexey Kakhno wrote:
> [...]

> >be retrieved at an optimal rate (less than 10 seconds).
> >- Cluster for Table1 - Storage of 350m INITIAL, 80 PCTUSED, 5 PCTFREE
> >- Cluster for Table2 - Storage of 20m INITIAL, 80 PCTUSED, 5 PCTFREE
> >* 3 Gig Tablespace Datafile on a DISK2 (RAID 0+1) containing the index=
es
> >for the tables. Two indexes are clustered (with tables above).
> >- 60 Meg Tablespace Datafile for System on DISK1 (RAID 0+1)
> >- (4) 8 Meg Redo Logs on DISK3 (RAID 1)
> >- 800 Meg Tablespace Datafile for Rollback Seg1 on DISK3 (RAID 1)
> >- 800 Meg Tablespace Datafile for Rollback Seg2 on DISK3 (RAID 1)
> >- 550 Meg Tablespace Datafile for Temporary Segments on DISK1 (RAID 0+=
1)

> >- 25 Meg Tablespace Datafile for Tools on DISK1 (RAID 0+1)
> >- Control File 1 on DISK3 (RAID 1)
> >- Control File 2 on DISK4 (RAID 1)
> >

> >Future
> >
> >The following is a description of the new hardware and how it will be
> >used.
> >
> >A.
> >
> >Alpha 8400 Sever running Digital UNIX 4.0E and containing an Oracle8.0=
.5
> >DB will consist of:
> >- (2) 5/625 CPU's
> >- 18 Storage Works 9.1 GB 10000 RPM Disks
> >- 2 HSZ70 controllers
> >- TZ89 DLT tape drive (APL ONLY)
> >- 3.5 GB memory
> >- RAID 7000
> >- TCP/IP
> >- (2) 100 MB ethernet cards (1 Fiber, 1 Base-T)
> >
> >B.
> >
> >The DB on the Alpha 8400 will be populated with data from up to 10
> >Sub-Systems running on an Alpha 1200 Server Running OpenVMS 7.1. The=

> >Sub-Systems will use SQLnet over TCP/IP on a 100 Megabit Per Second
> >ethernet to connect to the Oracle8.0.5 DB.
> >
> >In addition to the two tables currently clustered, up to 15 additional=

> >tables will be clustered as well as the indexes in order to gain
> >additional better performance on retrieval of the data. These tables
> >hold historic data and may contain up to 2 million rows. So, out of
> >the 179 tables, the 15 will be the ones that are accessed the most by
> >the NT’s.
> >
> >C.
> >
> >The data in the Oracle8.0.5 DB will be accessed from NT 4.0 Workstatio=
ns
> >(450 Mhz Dual Processor Pentium II ??) configured with Oracle Client
> >Software. The front end to the database will use Borland C++ Builder=

> >generated GUI’s and the Oracle ODBC Driver connected over TCP/IP on=
> >100 Megabit Per Second ethernet.
> >

> >Questions
> >
> >Based on the above current description and what we have to work with:
> >
> >A.
> >
> >Should we change or modify the TableSpace (TS) Roll Back, Redo layout
> >since we have 2 more drives that are on a faster controller (i.e.
> >Separate TS’s for Cluster Tables, use more than 1 data file for the =
DATA