Cursor+DelphiBDE

From: RonJ <ronj_at_atsecure.net.nospam>
Date: 12 Mar 1999 18:25:11 -0600

Hi,
I have Oracle 7.3 on NT and Delphi to get to it. Problem is we use standard Delphi code and use syntax like 'Table.Last' which simply moves to the last record in the table. Once at the last record, we work backward (and that is very fast). However, just the movement of the cursor to 'Last' is very slow - depending on how many records. Seems like it is linear moving each record. 20K recs are 7 secs. 100K recs are minutes. So, is there a way to move to the 'end' independent of table size? Can I add an index, or reverse sorted index (and go to 'first'). OR is there some SQL syntax like select last(200)-records.

FYI: What am I trying to do? Our production system adds new records (600/hr). We just want to evaluate the newest 2000 records for statistical basis (not just the newest 600). Ideas?

BTW, this is not an issue for Paradox, Access or other local DBs. They work fast.

Regards,
Ron Received on Fri Mar 12 1999 - 18:25:11 CST