Re: ? From bginner

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:53:42 -0800

Val

Answers inline. HTH.

Pete

val wrote:

> 1. How to determine table space QUOTA from client?

Do you have SQL*PLus access? If so, select * from user_ts_quotas

> 2. Where can I get a copy of Oracles error message?

Online in the Oracle Error Messages manual. If you're running Unix, from the OS prompt type in

$ oerr ora 4031 (or whatever the error number is)

> 3. What is the difference between instance database and session?

An instance is composed of the memory structures in the SGA (mainly data buffer cache, log buffer cache and shared pool) plus the background processes (DBWR, LGWR etc.). A database is composed of files at the OS level (datafiles, redo log files, control files). A session is an individual connection to the database.

> 4. How to create the Scott/Tiger tables?

You mean emp, dept etc.? Then run the demobld script under the sqlplus/demo directory when connected to the database as scott.

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)

Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA