Re: Dynamically creating procedures

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:39:04 GMT

A copy of this was sent to vjavaly_at_hotmail.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:10:44 GMT, you wrote:

>I'm looking for ideas as to how to do the following: From an Oracle8.03
>PL/SQL procedure, create a new procedure and compile it into the database.
>
>Here's what I've done so far: Created a GENERATOR procedure to generate new
>procedures based on parameters. This GENERATOR procedure calls an external
>procedure (actually it calls the wrapper procedure which calls a C program)
>which create a file which contains the source code for the new procedure.
>
>At this point, I could have the C program invoke SQL*Plus (through the SYSTEM
>command) and START the new procedure source file to compile it. However, I
>would like to find another way to compile the new procedure.
>
>Any ideas would be appreciated. Please reply to vjavaly_at_hotmail.com. Thank
>you in advance.

Why not just use dbms_sql? If you grant CREATE PROCEDURE directly to the owner of the pl/sql routine, he can use dynamic sql in dbms_sql to create the procedures. no need for C, external procs, sqlplus, etc, etc, etc...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Mar 12 1999 - 12:39:04 CST