Re: create database instance?

From: Kumar, Sai (EXCHANGE:PERPK:3374) <saikumar_at_nortel.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:22:05 -0500

Sebastien LAFORET wrote:

> hello.
> i use oracle v7.2, and tryed to create a database
>
> i made a file initABC.ora, put the good database name and parameters,
> then used the "instance manager" to create an instance.
>
> the instance has been created, it seems to be started.
>
> i created a sqlnet alias for the database..
>
> and... impossible to connect (error 12505... could not resolve SID given in
> connect descriptor)
>
> but tnsping works fine whith this alias..
>
> if somebody could explain me, i'd be glad to kiss his(her) feet ;-)
>
> --
> sebastien Laforet

Sebastien,

I had exactly the same problem, this is how I fixed it. On the listener.ora file check if u have the following format :-

LISTENER=
 (ADDRESS_LIST=
  (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=<hostname>)(PORT=1521))   (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=<service_name>)  )

CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10 SID_LIST_LISTENER=
(SID_LIST=
 (SID_DESC=(SID_NAME=<sid_name>)(ORACLE_HOME=<oracle_home_dir>))  )

where <hostname> is the hostname of the server on which oracle is installed.

<service_name> is the service_name specified on tnsnames.ora
<sid_name>  is the oracle instance name that u are trying to connect to.
<oracle_home_dir> is the home directory of oracle.

Also do a ,
lsnrctl start ( u should do it as oracle as the owner) which should start the specified services.

I assume that u are trying to connect from a client machine where u have specified the tnsnames.ora parameters perfectly.

Thanks
Sai Received on Fri Mar 12 1999 - 08:22:05 CST