BEWARE OF 8.0.5 exp/imp - was HELP: import 'hangs'

From: <ronb_at_digitalmarket.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:00:53 GMT

I have some information I would like to share with you.

It is starting to look like there is a 'problem' with the .dmp file. FYI, here is what I have found.

I have copied the .dmp file to 3 different machines...

    Solaris #1 (where the .dmp was created)     Solaris #2
    NT #1

Both of the Solaris machines are on Solaris 2.6 and had Oracle 8.0.5 installed from this same CD. The NT box is also 8.0.5

I tried to run imp with rows=n i.e. list the file only. Guess what... imp get stuck on the same table that it can't completely load. However, the place where it gets stuck is different on the two Solaris machines!!! I can consistantly get imp to 'spin it's wheels' at the same spots but only on the two different machines. i.e. Solaris #1 always get stuck on the 5th table of the .dmp and Solaris #2 always gets stuck on the 7th table of the .dmp file!!!

When I try to import the .dmp file on the NT machine with rows=n, it reads to the 7th table in the file, sits there for about 5 minutes, and comes back with the 'IMP-00009: abnormal end of export' message.

Bottom line is the exp created a 'bad' .dmp file but gave no errors, but I can't explain why imp gets 'stuck' at different spots when run on different machines with the same rev of Oracle

You have been warned. Don't trust exp/imp

Ron Bogdanoff