Re: How to query remote database?

From: Kumar, Sai (EXCHANGE:PERPK:3374) <saikumar_at_nortel.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:37:38 -0500

Tomasz Zalewski wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've got problem querying remote database. After command:
> select * from user.table_at_remote;
> I get a message: "ORA-02019: connection description for remote database
> not found ".
> I don't know what am I doing wrong. I've already defined a database link
> named 'remote'. I've also put 'remote' in /etc/hosts file ('remote' is
> the name of the remote server). Then I've defined an appropriote entry
> in tnsnames.ora file.
>
> I think I am doing some stupid mistake - I am quite new to Oracle. Can
> you help me with that?
>
> Harry

Hello,

  1. Check if sql*net has been installed properly.
  2. Try doing a tnsping <servicename> <number of seconds>

If u get a <ok> message , it means it is able to recognize the service on the remote database.

3. Check the listener.ora on the remote database , if the

    service name and the oracle_sid is specified perfectly.

Thanks
Sai Received on Thu Mar 11 1999 - 10:37:38 CST