Re: Problem installing Oracle on HP System

From: Kumar, Sai (EXCHANGE:PERPK:3374) <saikumar_at_nortel.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:31:23 -0500

Jeff Stewart wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to install Oracle 8.05 on a HP series 9000 Unix server
> running HPUX 10.20. Apparently there is a problem with that
> particular version of Unix's CDROM filesystem support, because every
> filename on the CD is truncated to 8 letters, in upper case, and has a
>
> ";1" appended to the filename. This is apparently causes the install
> to fail. It cannot read in the terminal types, etc. When I install
> Oracle on a RS/6000, the filenames appear as they should be and I have
> no problem. I attempted to copy the CD's contents to the filesystem,
> and the install failed. I wrote a script to remove the ";1" and put
> the filenames in lowercase, but apparently the filename truncation is
> still causing the install to fail. Has anyone out there found a way
> around this problem? I would greatly appreciate any help/advice.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jeffrey Stewart

Hello,

U need to do a pfs_mount to get the files in the right format. Do the following :-

  1. Run the following file :- #/usr/sbin/pfs_mountd & #/usr/sbin/pfsd &
  2. Use an editor to add the following on the /etc/pfs_fstab file :- <device_file> <mount_point> <filesystem_type> <translation_method>

   Example :- /dev/dsk/c5t2d0 /SD_CDROM pfs-rrip xlat=unix 0 0 3. Insert the CD-ROM and mount using :-

   #/usr/sbin/pfs_mount /SD_CDROM

Incase after doing all these u still couldn't get it running perfectly, check if u have portable file system installed on the machine, if not u need
to run the specific patch for it.

Thanks
Sai Received on Thu Mar 11 1999 - 10:31:23 CST