Re: HELP. HELP. HELP. Oracle 8 on NT. Can't use TCP/IP from 95 wrkstn

From: <oliver.willandsen_at_sg.cec.be>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:15:31 GMT

In article <MPG.11510affe528f37f9896b4_at_news.online.no>,   haakonts_at_online.no (Håkon T Sønderland) wrote:
> In article <36e8c816.16145313_at_news.supernews.com>, smithed_at_home.com
> says...
> > On 10 Mar 1999 18:32:55 GMT, Frampton Steve R <3srf_at_qlink.queensu.ca>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >sfsniner <smithed_at_home.com> wrote:
> > >: Please Help. Thanks in advance.
> > >:
> > >: I'm using Oracle8 on WindowsNT 4.0.
> > >
> > >I think there's your big problem right there. Switch to Linux. (No,
> > >really!)
> > >
> > >: I can't use TCP/IP as a protocol to network to my server from my
> > >: windows95 wrkstn; orapipes work fine.
> > >
> > >I hate to state the obvious, but are you saying *none* of the networking
> > >services work from/to your NT box? Have you looked in the networking
> > >icon in the control panel and ensure you've configured the system for
> > >TCP/IP with the appropriate DNS, gateway, and IP addresses?
> > >
> > >--------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >--------------
> > >Steve Frampton <3srf@qlink.queensu.ca> http://qlink.queensu.ca/~3srf
> >
> > Steve,
> > Sorry for the confusion, but all other TCP/IP services work absolutely
> > fine; I only have a problem connecting my wrkstn to my server using
> > TCP/IP with oracle8. I need to know what I'm doing wrong, or not
> > doing, which prevents my connecting to my server using TCP/IP through
> > oracle8.
> >
> Look up tnsnames.ora and listener.ora in your Oracle Net8 documentation.
> You need to have your listener up and running on the server and an entry
> in the tnsnames.ora file on your client that points to your server.

> There is a couple of tools called 'Oracle Net8 Easy Config' and
> 'Oracle Net8 Assistant' that is supposed to help you do this more
> easily.
>

> Hope this helps,
> Haakon
>

> --
> Core Technology AS |Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
> www.core.no |Ut sint vina proxima morientis ori,
> hts_no_at_spam_core.no |Tunc cantabunt letius anglelorum chori:
> (- _no spam_ to rply) |'Sit Deus propitius huic potatori.'

Maybe eben more importantly,

fire up your Oracle Installer and chceck whether apart from the Net8 client software and the named pipe stuff , you have actually _installed_ the Oracle TCP/IP protocol adapter and required support files.

HTH
Oliver Willandsen
European Commission - http://europa.eu.int

All comments represent my own opinion and may not in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission

Internet Fiesta - http://www.internet-fiesta.org

European Parliament - http://europarl.eu.int European Council - http://ue.eu.int
European Central Bank - http://www.ecb.int