PO7 on NT - Excessive Memory consumption....help!

From: John0725 <john0725_at_aol.com>
Date: 11 Mar 1999 06:38:20 GMT

Hi.

I have a database of about 100M, maybe 250 tables, running on Personal Oracle 7.3.4 under Windows NT4, service pack 3. 90% of the data is in 20% of the tables.

It's a 24/7 system. There are probably 3000 inserts per day, and about the same number of deletes (data is timestamped and old data gets purged daily) Also there are a lot of selects and some updates, but not too many. The size of the database may grow and shrink throughout the day, but is overall fairly constant. All of the tables and indexes are sized so the data fits in 1 extent. The application does do some full table scans on big tables, but not very many.

Anyway, my problem is that the Oracle73.exe memory usage (when viewed from the task manager) starts off using about 20 Megs of memory, which is fine, but over a period of maybe 3 or 4 days it grows to over 100 Megs, and eventually uses up all of the compute's physical and virtual memory (there is 128M on the machine)

I have tuned my Buffe Cache, Library Cache and Dictionary cache. The Shared Pool size is the default, 6M, and the DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS is 4000 with a block size of 2048, so that's about 8M.

I have similar systems running Workgroup Server 7.3.4 and I have never had this problem with those systems. Does anyone have any ideas for me???

If you could please reply to my email address john0725_at_aol.com I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks,

John Dorlon Received on Thu Mar 11 1999 - 00:38:20 CST