Re: HELP. HELP. HELP. Oracle 8 on NT. Can't use TCP/IP from 95 wrkstn

From: Håkon T Sønderland <haakonts_at_online.no>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:05:11 +0100

In article <36e8c816.16145313_at_news.supernews.com>, smithed_at_home.com says...
> On 10 Mar 1999 18:32:55 GMT, Frampton Steve R <3srf_at_qlink.queensu.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >sfsniner <smithed_at_home.com> wrote:
> >: Please Help. Thanks in advance.
> >:
> >: I'm using Oracle8 on WindowsNT 4.0.
> >
> >I think there's your big problem right there. Switch to Linux. (No,
> >really!)
> >
> >: I can't use TCP/IP as a protocol to network to my server from my
> >: windows95 wrkstn; orapipes work fine.
> >
> >I hate to state the obvious, but are you saying *none* of the networking
> >services work from/to your NT box? Have you looked in the networking
> >icon in the control panel and ensure you've configured the system for
> >TCP/IP with the appropriate DNS, gateway, and IP addresses?
> >
> >--------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >--------------
> >Steve Frampton <3srf@qlink.queensu.ca> http://qlink.queensu.ca/~3srf
>
> Steve,
> Sorry for the confusion, but all other TCP/IP services work absolutely
> fine; I only have a problem connecting my wrkstn to my server using
> TCP/IP with oracle8. I need to know what I'm doing wrong, or not
> doing, which prevents my connecting to my server using TCP/IP through
> oracle8.

Look up tnsnames.ora and listener.ora in your Oracle Net8 documentation. You need to have your listener up and running on the server and an entry in the tnsnames.ora file on your client that points to your server.

There is a couple of tools called 'Oracle Net8 Easy Config' and 'Oracle Net8 Assistant' that is supposed to help you do this more easily.

Hope this helps,
Haakon

--

Core Technology AS    |Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
www.core.no           |Ut sint vina proxima morientis ori,