Re: MAXDATAFILES - How to tell what files constitute this?

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:12:21 -0800

Tom

The value for MAXDATAFILES is ONLY for data files, not log files etc. This includes files that you may have dropped (probably the situation you've hit). To fix, you can recreate the control file using the syntax:

CREATE CONTROLFILE [REUSE]
   DATABASE name
   [LOGFILE filespec [, filespec] ...]
    RESETLOGS | NORESETLOGS

   [MAXLOGFILES integer]
   [DATAFILE filespec [, filespec] ...]
   [MAXDATAFILES integer]
   [MAXINSTANCES integer]
   [ARCHIVELOG | NOARCHIVELOG]
   [SHARED | EXCLUSIVE]

Parameters:

REUSE: If present the control files may already exist. The

     new control files will overwrite the existing files.  If
     this option is missing, the new control files must not
     yet exist.  As in CREATE DATABASE, the names of the
     control files are determined by the init.ora parameter
     control_files.

DATABASE:  Must match the database names in the data and log
     files.

LOGFILE:  This clause lists all the online logs that will be
     used for this database.  If not specified the port
     dependent defaults will be assumed.  The interpretation
     of the filespecs depends on the next parameter.

RESETLOGS:  If this flag is present the current contents of
     the online logs are ignored.  The new control files will
     contain flags requiring ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS,
     which initializes the logs.  Media recovery may be
     applied as needed before the open.  Note that either
     RESETLOGS or NORESETLOGS must be specified.  It is safest
     to choose RESETLOGS and follow it with normal media
     recovery.

NORESETLOGS:  If specified, the log files must be the current
     online logs.  They must not be restored backups, and all
     log files must be listed.  Their headers are read to
     construct the control file entries.  They are used for
     recovery.  If archiving is enabled all the online logs
     must be archived, even if they were already archived.
     The SIZE option in the filespecs, if present, will be
     used to validate the size of the file named.

MAXLOGFILES:  Same as for CREATE DATABASE.  May be different
     than the value in the original control file, but it may
     not be smaller the maximum number of log files the
     database ever contained - including ones that have been
     dropped.  Set it greater than or equal to the value used
     at CREATE DATABASE time.

DATAFILE:  To ensure proper behavior, all datafiles for the
     database must be listed.  It is possible to omit a non
     system tablespace file only if media recovery is enabled
     and you will not be doing an open reset logs on the first
     open after the create controlfile.  If the omitted
     file(s) contain(s) active rollback segments, the open
     will most likely fail, in which case the missing
     datafile(s) must be found, and the controlfile recreated.

     All datafiles listed must be accessible since they are
     assumed to be online.  They MAY be backup copies needing
     recovery.  Their headers are read to construct the
     control file records.  The SIZE option in the filespecs,
     if present, is used to validate the size of the file
     named.  The reuse option is ignored.  The next database
     open validates that all the files are specified and that
     the sizes match.

MAXDATAFILES:  Same as for CREATE DATABASE.  May be different
     than the value in the original control file, but it may
     not be smaller the maximum number of data files the
     database ever contained - including ones that have been
     dropped.

MAXINSTANCES:  Same as for CREATE DATABASE.  May be different
     than the value in the original control file.

[NO]ARCHIVELOG:  Same as for CREATE DATABASE.  May be
     different than the value in the original control file.

     If you wish to archive logs, it is recommended that the
     ARCHIVELOG option be used with CREATE CONTROLFILE even
     though the option can later be enabled with an ALTER
     DATABASE command.  NOARCHIVELOG is the default.

SHARED: Same as for CREATE DATABASE.

EXCLUSIVE: Same as for CREATE DATABASE.

HTH. Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA