Re: bandwidth for redundancy

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:42:43 -0800

Sure is a lot of questions! My comments are inline below.

HTH. Pete

NOtakmel_at_stratos.netSPAM wrote:

> I'm a newbie to SQL; I'm currently researching Oracle 7.x & Oracle 8.x
> since the front end s/w we're buying needs a Oracle box (v7.x they
> say).

If you're a newbie to this, get someone else involved who's done it before. I've seen a lot of sites run into problems where someone with little experience didn't cover all the bases when implementing disaster recovery strategies. I'm not saying you'd run into them, but it just makes sense to get help with this.

> Since this will be a 24x7 app I need to have a *disaster recovery*
> plan. Also there's this nagging issue about *what* platform ...
> actually NT or NW (unfortunately not UNIX).
>
> First the platform issue. I have NW boxes here running redundant
> (standby/failover). I have *a* NT box but my plan is to get rid.
> Mainly unstability, high h/w requirement, resource hog, etc. etc.
> (this is a server class box too).
>
> Front end app developer says Oracle on NT is easiest. I'm assuming
> that Oracle on any platform, theoretically, should be the same? The
> API(?) set the front end uses to access Oracle should be same across
> platforms, right?

In the broadest sense, Oracle is Oracle is Oracle. It doesn't matter what platform it runs on, the SQL will be the same etc. I can't make any comments about Oracle on NW because I've never run it, but there are often nuances in how it is set up that differ from OS to OS. One thing I would say is that there are (in my experience anyway) a lot more people out there that are familiar with Oracle on NT than NW. If I had to make a choice, though, I'd go with Unix rather than NT anyway, because the OS failover capabilities have been around in that world a lot longer than they have on NT. Don't know about NW.

> I want to go Oracle on NW; I've heard that Oracle on NW scales better
> although Oracle can't officially push any particular platform.

Correct, Oracle doesn't push any platform. Others in this group may like to comment.

> As far as redundancy goes I would like to figure out what options we
> have for a *failover* (hot spare/standby setup) in the main site & if
> I can setup a hot spare in my remote office.

Is the hot spare in the main site a completely separate box? If so, your options are replication and standby database, same as they are for the remote site. As a newbie, standby is the most straight forward, particularly in 8i where it can be opened read-only, and the redo log shipping can be automated in the database (sounds of the Alleluia Chorus resound throughout the newsgroup!). That's not the only issue in determining which approach is best though.

> Both of these hot
> spare/standby should have the up-to-date DB. This way if our man site
> is bombed then the service can be up in theremote office. For the
> latter what kind of dedicated bandwidth is necessary (T1, T3, etc.
> etc) or if there are any other technologies from Oracle or someone
> else?

Data volumes will determine this. How many redo logs are shipping how frequently for standby, transaction rates for replication. There are other approaches as well, such as SRDF from EMC. I don't know if that is available for NW though.

> The clustering technology by people like Compaq & MS for the NT
> platform looks okay but I'm not really gunho about NT platform.
>
> I know for a newbie this is a lot of question.

We were all newbies once. If I didn't have my questions answered then, I couldn't answer yours now.

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA