Re: The "Ideal" platform for Oracle - please throw in your $.02

From: Stilian Elenkov <elenkovs_at_vtls.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:56:46 -0500

Anton Dischner wrote:

> > Also 4 or 8 Xeon 450
> > with 1M full speed cache can give both the HP and Sun a good run for 1/2
> > the money.
> >

> > Stilian
>
> I can' believe this, see what confirms my experiences:
>
> > Hello,
> > there was an interesting articel the last issue of iX-Magazin.
> > As this article is not available online, (www.heise.de -> iX-magazin),
> > send me your fax-number and I will provide you with that information,
> > (written in german) or contact www.heise.de for an english version.
> > Results:
> > linux is far more scaleable.
> > If you use 8 instead of 4 processors, performance will scale up ba 90%.
> > If you do that with NT, you will hardly notice it.
>
> > Herbert Fukerider
> > email: Herbert.Fukerider_at_rfn.de

As much as I love Linux and its superior networking, and salability in file and print services, for a back end DB server, NT still does a better job on similar hardware. You could not even install Linux on a machine with more than 2 SCSI adapters until recently. The 2.2.X kernel is very impressive indeed but the rest of most distributions still needs some work. See my previous post about file system, disk IO and system IO comparison. Linux is great doing DNS, mail, ftp, web, file and print, (soon to be NT domain controller) etc., but lags in the DB server department.

As for the Oracle on Linux article in iX - they are using RH 5.1 on a dual PII - the SMP capability the 2.0.X kernel was barely adequate for file and print services. The 2.2.X is much much better, but there is not an official distribution that uses it. Again just because a VA (http://samba.gorski.net/samba/samba.html) machine does 40% better job doing file and print services with Linux and Samba than NT, does not mean it will do a better job as a back end Oracle DB server.

Stilian Received on Wed Mar 10 1999 - 09:56:46 CST