Re: Help -- 3 questions again on Oracle 8 + thin client

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:49:59 +0000

coakleyj_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi to all.
> I have 3 queries.
>
> 1)
>
> I have a query regarding the size of the
> shadow process on Oracle 8/Net 8
> client-server configuration. The figures I
> have say that the shadow process
> on Oracle 7 was about 400KB, whereas for
> Oracle 8 it has increased to 2MB.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Thus, for a small number
> of users (say 100), where multi-threaded server and
> connection
> pooling/concentration would not be used, does this mean that to
> support the
> same number of users on Oracle 8 as on Oracle 7, I would have
> to increase my
> server memory by a factor of 4-5 !!?
>
> 2) Oracle Apps 11 is only supported in
> a 3-tier web configuration - i.e. client
> server deployment not supported. But
> given that Oracle Apps is just an
> application developed using Oracle
> Developer, Oracle Application server
> and Oracle RDBMS, what is stopping a
> client from deploying it in Client-server
> mode?? After all, if I develop a
> Developer application myself, I have the
> choice of deploying it in
> client-server and web. Is there someting extra in Oracle
> Applications that
> stops the same logic from applying??

Try it and see. When we developed our apps we did incorporate jumps to other URLs. I don't think these jumps worked in client/server mode.

> 3) Finally, as a continuation of point
> 2, Oracle recommend a client of 32MB to
> run Oracle Applications 11 (i.e the
> browser machine) -- In fact, I've heard a number
> of third-party consultants
> recommending up to 64MB for the client machine.
> Now this is the "so-called"
> thin client (browser client). So why is so much memory
> required? I have heard
> Oracle consultants talk about thin client and when you
> ask what thin-client
> means, they respond "Anything that can run a browser".
> Now I would interpret
> this as being 8MB, not a minimum of 32MB and definitely
> not 64MB.

They are probably restricted to the memory requirements of the current browsers (IE4-5 and Netscape 4.5). As these keep growing for other reasons they probably need more and more memory. Name me a product that requires less memory. Java Virtual machine must take up a good chunk.