Re: PersonalOracle8 & developer2000 v2: help

From: Peter Lang <peter.lang_at_jk.uni-linz.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:36:04 +0100

Hi

See the documentation of Personal Oracle8:

Oracle8 Networking
-> Oracle Net8 Getting Started for Windows NT/95 -> Migration and Coexistence Issues
[...]

     Do I have to install Net8 Client on SQL*Net Version 2.x clients to connect to a local Oracle8

     database?

     Yes. If the SQL*Net Version 2.x client needs to connect to a local Oracle8 database, the client needs

     SQL*Net Client Version 2.x, Net8 Client, and Net8 Server on the computer. Note that Net8 Client and

     Net8 Server are already installed during the installation of Oracle8 Enterprise Edition.

     You also need to create a service name using SQL*Net Easy Configuration or Oracle Network Manager

     in the SQL*Net Client Version 2.x TNSNAMES.ORA file. Ensure you specify this service name in the

     connect string when connecting to the Oracle8 database. Note that the Bequeath protocol adapter is not

     supported when connecting from an Oracle7 client to an Oracle8 database. The figure below gives an

     example of this network configuration. [...]

Regards,
Peter