Restore from disk with RMAN80

From: Friedhelm Raab <raab_at_amsd3c.imib.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 10 Mar 1999 09:45:49 GMT

We have two NT 4.0 machines with Oracle 8.0.3 installed on both. Machine A contains a production database X, which is backed up regular with RMAN80 as online backup to _disk_. The backup files on disk are then backed up to tape via OS backup.
I'm now trying to simulate a complete loss of database X (which may be caused by a disk crash). I use machine B for recovery. What I've done so far:
- restored the RMAN backup-files to disk of machine B.

     run {
       allocate channel d1 type disk;
       restore controlfile to 'd:\oracle\database\X\ctlX.ora';
       release channel d1;
     }

No surprise that RMAN told me:

  RMAN-06026: some targets not found - aborting restore   RMAN-06024: no backup or copy of the controlfile found to restore

because RMAN has no information about the location of the backup files on disk. But how can I provide RMAN with this information ? (I have only the online documentation available, which is not very helpful on this topic.)

Thanks
  Friedhelm Received on Wed Mar 10 1999 - 03:45:49 CST