Getting/keeping secure access to db password

From: Mark Foley <foleym_at_meftechno.com>
Date: 09 Mar 1999 21:12:06 PST

 I have a system which is using Oracle as the database. There are two processes
 which access the database.

 One is a C++ executable which inserts records via ODBC.  The other is Internet Information Server which through Active Server Pages  allows intranet users to access data in the database.

 We have an additional requirement that the Oracle password be changed every 60 days.

 How do people generally implement their systems such that the respective applications
 can pick up the new database password from a secure place, in a secure manner?

 I have thought about having a DLL function which returns the password, but this
 requires rebuilding the DLL every 60 days and all of the associated hassle.

 I could keep the password in the NT Registry, which certainly would be easy to access
 and update, but I am not sure how secure this is. Received on Tue Mar 09 1999 - 23:12:06 CST