Should I use Oracle 8 or SQL Server 7 on the Library System?

From: Trevor Fuson <fuson_at_unbc.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:53:15 -0800

I am the systems administrator for a University library. I am looking into moving the library system to a real DBMS. Does anyone know of an existing library based Oracle solution?

Current Problem: (Summary: Too Slow and Unreliable)

  1. A query on the existing system takes 1 hour for every 400,000 records. (4/233Mhz)
  2. The existing DBMS(Proprietary) has problems with corruption.
  3. The existing DBMS will lock up when more than one person accesses a particular record. The database isn't really relational so each record has 400-500 fields. Making changes using some of the system tools means the entire database is locked.
  4. Some information is not stored, simply because the DBMS cannot cope with the data. (Query Speeds)

I would like to implement a new DBMS on an NT Server. Yes, an NT server, sorry, sorry, sorry.
I don't know whether to go with SQL Server or Oracle. Any opinions welcome :)

I would like the following results in this order:

  1. Easy Development. I am not an idiot, just that I am one person team and I need something that is quick and easy to work with.
  2. Reliability. I don't want corrupted data. I want the users to be able to use the database without it always locking up or crashing. Daily lockups are currently common.
  3. Performance. I want to be able to do queries on the fly that are currently run as reports. Some libraries using this system are having problems doing backups because the reports take so long to run, I don't want to run into those problems.
  4. Web Access / Remote Access. I need to be able to do queries on the web, most will be simple, but some need to be secured. In the future the library will be in multiple locations, I need to be able to give regional access to the databases.
  5. Costs. I need something that is cost effective, we are on a tight budget. Currently we spend 30,000 (Canadian) for yearly licensing related to the current solution. The new database needs to be less than that. One time expenditures can be flexible up to 100,000 Canadian.

We have up to 30 concurrent users, with a growth of about 10% per year.

Thanks!

Trevor. Received on Tue Mar 09 1999 - 18:53:15 CST