Re: Archive Strategies

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 17:31:00 -0600

Yes. Table-by-table archiving. It keeps your working tables at a workable size.

The next higher level of archiving is 'object archiving'. This approach archives rows from more than one table as a set. The set represents everything you would need to re-create the 'object'.

What is an object? Well, take a purchase order as an example. We may have rows in many tables to represent the entire object. These would include PO_HEADER, PO_LINE, PO_SHIPMENT, PO_RETURN, PO_INVOICE, PO_PAYMENT, etc.

So 'object archiving' would find PO's that had been closed for x months and then extract coordinated sets of data from all the tables. This can be retained for legal documentation.

SAP implements 'object archiving'. It is fully integrated with the applications. The archived 'objects' are stored in files, not the database. However, the application can retrieve archived 'objects' so the users can examine the historical record.

We are storing the archived object file in a Heirarchical Storage System (HSM). When the HSM daemon detects the file system is getting full, it migrates the Least Recently Used files to tape in a tape library. The HSM software keeps track which file is on which tape. The migrated files still show up in the directory, and the HSM recalls files from tape automatically.