Oracle8 CLOB with remote webserver question

From: jamesf <uzada_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 22:39:11 GMT

All --

The scenario is that I have a storyserver install on machine A and an oracle database on machine B. The data passed around is components of the web pages, and the biggest headache is the body of the web page. The length of these pages is highly variant, a couple of K up to (so far a max of 31000 chars... although that is the exception more than the rule).3000 chars is the norm. Oracle suggests using the CLOB vs. the LONG because it is more accessible.

The problem is the web-based editing tool which takes in the data from the database (no problem), but placing the modified data back into machine B from machine A seems problematic. I'm wondering if I'm missing something with the whole DBMS_LOB.LOADFROMFILE() as the only way of getting the data into the CLOB in the database.

i.e.

BEGIN

END; As I see it, I have to first transport (NFS mount, ftp... ???) the physical file over to machine B and then run the stored procedure to complete the update. Is there a different/better way?

thanks in advance,