Re: Partial hang up of 7.3.3.0.0

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:32:37 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Sergey Zhukov" <SergeyZh_at_cityline.ru> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:06:33 +0300, you wrote:

>Hi All!
>You know that next will work:
>
>CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE hang_up
>as
> subtype number1 is number;
> n number1;
>end hang_up;
>
>BUT let's interchange two strings in this simplest package, declaring the
>varialbe BEFORE the declaring of subtype:
>
>CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE hang_up
>as
> n number1;
> subtype number1 is number;
>end hang_up;
>
>This will hang the client process up and, probably, you will not be able to
>drop the package before restarting the instance on the server...
>What do you think about this silly joke?

Confirmed that in 7.3.4 the second one hangs that client and it won't let itself get killed. I opened bug 847647 for that.

In 8.x, it does not reproduce however. In 8.0.4 for example, i get:

SQL> CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE hang_up
  2 as
  3 n number1;
  4 subtype number1 is number;
  5 end hang_up;
  6 /

Warning: Package created with compilation errors.

SQL> show error
Errors for PACKAGE HANG_UP:

LINE/COL ERROR

3/4      PLS-00311: the declaration of "NUMBER1" is incomplete or
         malformed

3/4      PL/SQL: Declaration ignored

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Mar 09 1999 - 13:32:37 CST