Database Monitoring. How much is enough ?

From: Flora Seymour <fseymour_at_newfoundlandpower.com>
Date: 9 Mar 1999 18:43:33 GMT

I am currently trying to do a sanity check on the amount of database monitoring that our Company does on our databases that range from 24x7 (20 gigs) mission critical (a customer service database) to much smaller, much less critical ones. Most are Oracle 7.3 on Alpha VMS. Some are on Oracle 8 on NT.

I am finding that I could continually develop routines to monitor various aspects of the databases for ever and a day and am wondering on how to draw the line between practical and paranoid !

Thanks to some extra hired help, the things we are currently regularly monitoring for on our most critical databases are...
- excessive index browning (dead space in index nodes)

One thing that we are consciously not doing is re-computing statistics regularly, in fear that it may cause the cost based optimizer to change strategy (for the worse). Performance is critical to us.

I would like to know how this compares to what other Oracle sites do regularly.

	Have we covered off the most important things ?
	Should we be re-computing statistics regularly?

Also, we are pushing to have more time allocated regularly to practice database recovery in effort to prove database backups are reliable. Currently recovery testing is done only by virtue of the fact that developers on occasion need a production database restored to a development area for testing. This is not a regular thing. I have read and understand that practicing recovery is a wise thing, but wonder in the "real world" whether DBAs actually make this a priority or just wish they could .

        In other Oracle shops is recovery practice a reality ?

Any other comments on what practically should be done on a regular basis to ensure the availability of our databases and on what your Oracle shop does regularly would be of great interest.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Flora Seymour
Flora Seymour
Database Administrator
Newfoundland Power
Tel: (709)737-5728
Fax: (709)737-5832
Email: fseymour_at_newfoundlandpower.com Received on Tue Mar 09 1999 - 12:43:33 CST