Copying database to another instance possible ?

From: <sverzijl_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 09:17:42 GMT

Hi All,

Can someone tell me what the common way is to copy/restore a database to another instance ?

(e.g. in DB2 there is the command 'RESTORE DATABASE PROD INTO TEST' to accomplish this).

In Oracle I only know of a full export/import of a database, but this is a very time consuming task. I tried copying the datafiles and recreating the controlfile from the 'backup to trace' (replacing the datafile paths to point to the new database location), but this doesn't work since Oracle checks the header of the datafile comparing the database name.

There must be a faster way than a full export/import to copy a database, isn't there ?

Regards,

Simon Verzijl
Devote