Re: Oracle Names Server - Help!

From: Joe Kazimierczyk <kazimiej_at_bms.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:14:21 -0500

To get around namesctl prompting you upon a start or stop, you can add these lines to your sqlnet.ora:

    namesctl.noconfirm = on
    namesctl.server_password = your_password

In our setup a "namesctl reload" always works (and we update our configuration often).

I'm not sure I understand the original problem, but I would think that if names was unsuccessful in resolving a name in cache, you would NOT want it to check the database. If it did, then every typo someone made would degrade nameserver's performance. What we do is: update the namesserver database with NETMAN (pre net8, but should be similar?), then from within netman, click on "reload namesservers" which forces a reload on all of our nameservers, and everyone can see the new tnsname. If you can still force the reload from net8's configuration tool, then you won't need to bother with scripts to start, stop or reload nameservers.

joe kazimierczyk
kazimiej_at_bms.com