Re: Database Errors - How to detect

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:40:04 +0100

Hi Doug,

1 - If it's down, you will know soon enough 2 - If anything serious happens it will be written to the alert log. This is the first place to look for when a database becomes troubled. The alert log is located in the background dump directory as indicated in init<sid>.ora On some systems (VMS!) these alerts will be paged to the operator process automatically
3 - Use Enterprise Manager. This is capable of emailing you or paging you out of your bed, when the database goes down. Of course Enterprise Manager has it's own repository, so you need a small second database for this repository in order to monitor your production database(s).

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

PS this is a vast area. Maybe you should consider buying the Oracle troubleshootin guide by Oracle Press/Osborne