Re: Ho searching a string in a LONG or CLOB?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:11:28 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Andrea Collamati <acollamati_at_xtel.it> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:14:46 +0000, you wrote:

>I'm porting a database from SQLServer to Oracle 8.
>I have problem with memo SQLServer Type. It can store text and it's able
>to perform search inside it.
>I tried to do the same thing in ORACLE, but I didn't succeed.
>(Varchar2(2000) is too short for me. I'd like to use
>CLOB type or long).
>Who can help me?
>
> Andrea Collamati

what help do you need? do you have a specific question?

If you put the data into the CLOB type and then you can use

o dbms_lob.instr()
o dbms_lob.substr()
o dbms_lob.compare()
o dbms_log.trim()

among others to search/manipulate it in SQL queries. don't put it in a long

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Mar 08 1999 - 09:11:28 CST