Re: ROLL BACKSSSS URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!

From: <kvsraju_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 06:30:43 GMT

In article <7bieen$6iq$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   naveen_arora_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have a small doubt..
> in a apllication , user is having default schema of USER_DATA.
> so the rollback segments the appication logged is as that user
> will be using the USER_DATA rollback segments or rollback segments
> on tablespace RBS ?
> thanks for any help
> naveen
>
> naveen_at_cdotd.ernet.in
> arora_n_at_hotmail.com

Hi,

Rollback segments are used for transactions. Each and every transaction will be having two values i.e OLD and NEW . when u update /delete/insert , oracle will store the old value in the rollback segment and new value in the table (irrespective u give commit or not). when u give rollback ,the old value will come to table from rollback segment.

there is no relation between tablespace and rollback segments ,except SYSTEM rollback segment cannot be used for non system tablespace transactions.

Generally we will have all rollback segments in seprate tablespace . This is because the rollback segments are independent of tables where they are ,and for easy maintenance.

specifiaclly if u want to use a rollback segment for a transaction give.

SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT <NAME>;

so the entire transaction will go to that rollback segment.

CONCLUSION:
there is no relation betw'n tablespace and rollback segment and user schema.

hope this helps u

kvsraju_at_usa.net

Oracle Database Administrator ,
Polaris Software Lab Ltd,