Re: SQLNet: necessary for ODBC remote access?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 07:10:45 +0100

Answers below embedded

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

jerwynn_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I am using ODBC within a programming language/tool
> such as VC++ (or any other tool that support ODBC database access),
> and the Oracle database to be accessed is located in a remote server,
> is it necessary or mandatory to use SQLNet?

yes, you need the Oracle ODBC driver, which is interfacing to sql*net

> Is it that SQLNet takes care of the network aspect of communication, while
> ODBC takes care of the database format aspect of the protocol?

ODBC is a generic, non-database specific tool. It takes care of the translation of sqlstatements to various databases.

> Which means
> that SQLNet is absolutely and always necessary for your client application to
> access a remote Oracle database regardless of what database API one uses?

> Yes

> If
> this is indeed the case, then remote DB access is defined and limited by the
> features of SQLNet.

What do you mean by 'limited'. Sql*Net provides full access to the database

> Does SQLNet support database access through the
> Internet?

Yes. However, if you are building web based applications, usually there is a webserver somewhere. In this case the webserver is the only system needing SQL*Net to access the database!