Re: TCL and Oracle script

From: Tom Poindexter <tpoindex_at_nyx10.nyx.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 19:01:23 GMT

In article <7bqovg$ej7$1_at_news.monmouth.com>, Jack Zhu <jackzhu_at_monmouth.com> wrote:
>Does anyone ever use TCL to write oracle scripts(such as backup)?
>
>What's the advantage of TCL, compare Shell script?
>
>For Oracle DBA, is it necessary to know TCL?

ObDisclaimer: I'm the author of Oratcl.

I know of many folks (beside myself) that use Tcl for Oracle administration, and still many others that use Tcl for general Oracle application programming.

Even Oracle provides a significant product based on Tcl and Oratcl - Oracle Enterprise Manager. If you write your own scripts in OEM, you're writing Tcl.

Tcl's advantages over Shell: a richer language, multi-platform (runs on Unix, Windows, Macintosh), direct access to Oracle (with Oratcl), ability to easily turn your command line scripts into GUI-based tools.

To answer your last question: No, a DBA doesn't need to know TCL. Neither does a DBA need to know Shell, awk, perl, C, or any other programming language. But the DBA that does know any of these tools makes his/her life much easier by building the tools he/she needs. Tcl represents a good language for a DBA to know.

Oratcl is an Oracle interface for Tcl. See my web page for more info.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex_at_nyx.net