Re: Dynamic Table creation

From: keith boulton <boulke_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 16:59:36 GMT

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 00:06:50 GMT, dlane_at_cix.compulink.co.uk ("David Lane") wrote:

>worries about large number of undeleted tables filling the tablespaces
this is easily overcome by dropping the tables at application start as well as application end. Also, disk space is cheap.

> bad design

this is an opinion, not a reason. I've been prevented from using dynamically created/modified tables by DBAs for this reason. I think the problem is that DBAs expect a database to be a static structure so that they can (over) tune it. With a temporary table like this, you almost invariably want to do full table scans of the resulting table anyway, so tuning is not a big issue.

> security problems

I don't see that there are security problems.

> to be created in a seperate tablespace to minimise impact on other users and programs.
absolutely right

>Has anyone else had any experience of this - it just feels wrong to me!
I've had compromise in the past by defining a table to hold temporary result sets, but using the session id as to distiguish results for each user. Received on Sat Mar 06 1999 - 10:59:36 CST