Re: Oracle8 8.0.5 (pre) for Linux install problems

From: Tuomas Hosia <hosia_at_lut.fi>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 17:39:52 GMT

Frampton Steve R <3srf_at_qlink.queensu.ca> kirjoitteli seuraavaa:

>Hello:
>
>I've had the 8.0.5 (Pre-production) CD for Linux for a few months now, but
>haven't had the time to dive in. I'm finally trying to do so now.
>
>As per the documentation, I ran the installation script, which worked
>fine. I then ran an SQL*Plus script called 'catrep.sql' which "loads the
>necessary packages and views for replication". While it appeared to do a
>lot of table creations, grants, etc. I ran into a *lot* of errors (I've
>snipped a few "choice" ones):
>
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 2
> ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded

Default value for OPEN_CURSORS is way too small by default, but I don't remember how do you set it on *nix-platform. Init.ora perhaps?

Proper value for a small machine might be 400. Better advices, anyone?

> grant execute on dbms_rectifier_diff to execute_catalog_role
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-04042: procedure, function, package, or package body does not exist

Derives from error above.

> DROP PUBLIC SYNONYM dbms_rectifier_diff
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01432: public synonym to be dropped does not exist

Actually not an error at all. There never was such synonym and drop-statement is for re-run.

> GRANT EXECUTE ON dbms_repcat TO SYSTEM
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01749: you may not GRANT/REVOKE privileges to/from yourself
>
>I suppose the majority, if not all the messages, are being caused by the
>"maximum open cursors exceeded" problem. Is there a way to fix this?
>Don't tell me I have to recompile my kernel! ;-)

Not Linux-problem, just Oracle adjustment.

>Also, this version of Oracle appears to be missing SQL*Forms. Eek!
>Anybody know if this will be included in the 8i release? (I've already
>registered to get the CD sent)

Forms?

Forms is sold and licenced separately, as part of Designer 2000-package.

It's not included with Oracle server on any platform.

Designer 2000 for Linux is coming real soon now, maybe this year, maybe later.

Tuomas
--

hosia_at_lut.fi(Tuomas Hosia) DoD#1684   \ On paljon hauskempi olla pakanana,
Lappeenranta University of Technology \ ei tarvitse koskaan olla vakavana.