Re: The "Ideal" platform for Oracle - please throw in your $.02

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 10:45:23 +0100

email spammers must die wrote in message <7bmgui$r1l_at_transfer.stratus.com>...
>I've been tasked with choosing the next generation hardware platform
>that we will run our Oracle DB on. [cut]
>So, I'll put it to all of you DBA's out there who might also dabble in
>hardware - what's the "best" platform for Oracle in terms of performance,
cost
>and reliability ? Is NT stable enough for consideration ?

With V-class you might build NUMA clusters... :)) But more seriously, I think that if you're really concerned on high availability, running Oracle on NT it is not a good idea. I mean not only NT problems. For example, on unix some Oracle bugs cause ORA-07445 errors, often seen in foreground as ORA-03113 (End of file communication channel). They affects only one shadow process. You've got info in alert log, core dump and usually oracle process dump which gives you a chance to isolate statement causing problem.
On NT ? You have instance failure (termination of oracle process affecting all threads) and no usefull trace to look for and eliminate suspicious statements...

just my $.02

--
Piotr Kolodziej pkol_at_otago.gda.pl
Just my private opinion. Received on Fri Mar 05 1999 - 03:45:23 CST