Oracle Install on Irix 6.4

From: Scott J. Kolodzieski <scott_at_dmi.stevens-tech.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 11:10:24 -0500

What can I say but Help!

I am attempting to due and install of Oracle 8.0.5 on a SGI Octane Irix 6.4. I am new to Oracle
but not to sysadmin or databases. I am installing off of a CD named "Oracle Enterprise Server
for Silicon Graphics (32 bit edition)". I am installing with the default database that comes on the
CD. Installation appears to go sucessfully but:

  1. After Installation, the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora are munged and full of cruft.
  2. The net8asst.sh does not run, it points to nonexistant directories for source classes. and even when I patch up the paths, I still cannot get it to run.
  3. None of the Graphic utilities seem to be available:
                    svrmgrm, the oracle enterprise manager, etc...

The Oracle8 Installation guide for Silicon Graphics is maybe 50 worthmless pages. I have the Oracle
Press DBA and Beginners guide, but they rely heavy on the netassitant and svrmgrm to get the management
process going.

I did an install of help, both pdf and html, but no mention of how to access it in the installation guide.

What crucial documentaion am I missing? I am not even sure the installation is complete? The orainst
program claimed success but I am a bit leary?

Scott Kolodzieski
Stevens Institute of Technology
Hoboken, NJ 07030 USA
Voice: (201)-216-8001
Fax: (201)-216-8963 Received on Thu Mar 04 1999 - 10:10:24 CST