Re: UTL_FILE limitations

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 21:50:12 GMT

On 04 Mar 99 20:35:22 +0100, "Lothar Armbrüster" <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de> wrote:

>On 04-Mär-99 02:21:35 Michael P. Vincenty wrote:
>
>>Understand that the UTL_FILE package PUT service only allows for
>>records to be up to 1023 bytes long. Does anyone know if it is
>>possible to get around this limitation. We have a need to produce
>>files which have records which are longer that 1023.
>
>What about several put statements and one put_line statement to end the
>line of your file. This should work for text files.

Unfortunately this doesn't work. AFAIK there realy isn't any workaround for this linesize limitation of UTL_FILE.

But luckily this limitation has been lifted in 8i. By default it is still 1023 bytes, but you can declare higher linesize limit when opening the file with UTL_FILE.FOPEN. If I remember correctly the linesize can be up to 32K.

>--
>Lothar Armbrüster | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
>Schulstr. 12 | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de
>D-65375 Oestrich-Winkel |

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Thu Mar 04 1999 - 15:50:12 CST