Re: Which ablespace for users SYS and SYSTEM

From: Johnny <johnny.verhoeven_at_village.uunet.be>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 18:58:05 +0100

oamador_at_obipr.jnj.com wrote:

> Why is user SYS setup in oracle to have assigned default tablespaces SYSTEM
> and temporary table space TEMPORARY and the use SYSTEM is setup to have
> default USR and temporary SYSTEM?

Oracle standard, feel free to change.

> I also notice that another application was creating user with a temporary
> tablespace SYSTEM.

Not a good thing if the SYSTEM table space fills up, you database is liable to stop working.

> Shouldn't it all users be assigned TEMPORARY as their temporary table space.

No realy, but it is a good idea.
> After all, isn't the reason the tablespace is defined as of type temporary?

Yes, but you can define multiply temporary tablespace to distribute IO.

> And this USR tablespace, is it really necessary? The only one assigned to it
> is SYSTEM and there is no objects in the table. Shouldn't system be using the
> SYSTEM tablespace as default?

I don't bother about USR, I just use SYSTEM.

Johnny Verhoeven
Technic And Technology, Senior DBA