The "Ideal" platform for Oracle - please throw in your $.02

From: email spammers must die <cdodson_at_i.cant.say.com***(email>
Date: 4 Mar 1999 17:46:58 GMT

Hi,

        I've been tasked with choosing the next generation hardware platform that we will run our Oracle DB on. It's currently on a K-class HP (2x180 mhz cpu, 1 gb RAM) and we're pushing the machine its limits. We also have a replicated copy of the DB on a Sun SPARC 30000 (2x250mhz CPU, 512mb RAM) which does duty as a "reporting" DB (mostly read-only). I've read quite a bit about both the new SPARC 400mhz line (5500 is the most likely for us) as well as the HP V-class (440mhz PA8500 CPU). Both can scale to at least 16 processors, both have some great storage options, and both have very robust 64 bit unix operating systems. And then there's all these new 4-way Xeon Intel servers running NT for about 1/4 of the money of the big unix iron.

So, I'll put it to all of you DBA's out there who might also dabble in hardware - what's the "best" platform for Oracle in terms of performance, cost and reliability ? Is NT stable enough for consideration ?

Thanks much for any and all opinions !

Craig Dodson (Stratus Computer)
cdodson_at_cac.NOSPAM.stratus.com (remove the appropriate entry to email me) Received on Thu Mar 04 1999 - 11:46:58 CST