Re: Which ablespace for users SYS and SYSTEM

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 16:24:15 -0800

Why things are done a certain way could only be answered by the developers. At least things are moving away from everything defaulting to the system tablespace, but high on my wish list would have to be two new initialization parameters, default_tablespace and temporary_tablespace!

SYS probably defaults to the SYSTEM tablespace 'cause that's where we want the data dictionary and it saves having to put a tablespace clause on lots of object creation statements. SYSTEM is probably safe to change from its defaults, but as always, err on the side of caution and change it back again before an upgrade, "just in case".

HTH. Pete

oamador_at_obipr.jnj.com wrote:

> Why is user SYS setup in oracle to have assigned default tablespaces SYSTEM
> and temporary table space TEMPORARY and the use SYSTEM is setup to have
> default USR and temporary SYSTEM?
>
> I also notice that another application was creating user with a temporary
> tablespace SYSTEM.
>
> Shouldn't it all users be assigned TEMPORARY as their temporary table space.
> After all, isn't the reason the tablespace is defined as of type temporary?
>
> And this USR tablespace, is it really necessary? The only one assigned to it
> is SYSTEM and there is no objects in the table. Shouldn't system be using the
> SYSTEM tablespace as default?

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager            Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education               (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA