Re: Dedicated Server Process VS MTS Process

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 23:14:17 +0100

Answers below embedded

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

yewpc_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hi everyone ,
> I have few questions regarding Dedicated Server process against
> Multi-Threader Server .
>
> 1. Is that true Dedicated server process will be created when there is new
> a new user process and it will be remove when the user process finished ?

Yes, but usually these server side processes keep hanging quite a while

> whereas for MTS process, it will be created during the instance statup ???

no, only the dispatcher and the server process. The server process however will be capable of handling multiple client processes whereas in dedicated server each client has it own server process.

> 2. Is the PGA size for each dedicated server process or MTS process is fixed ?

No

> 3. Is there a way for me to check what is the memory size for each PGA ?

should be kept in the v$sesstat views

> 4. The PGA memory is allocated from platform server memory or from SGA ?

Actually, to be more precise, from the shared pool, so in the sga. You may need to increase shared_pool_size
in your init<sid>.ora