Re: Need to be a DBA FAST

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 17:34:25 GMT

Hi Soren,

    From you message I don't think you have the time to learn what you need by going to classes at this time. I think you need a more aggressive plan and that you should defer going to formal classes until after you have things under control.

I suggest that you do the following:

  1. Get a copy of the Oracle DBA Handbook by Kevin Loney, Oracle Press (Osbourne McGraw-Hill Publishing) for the version of Oracle you are to support. Sit down and read it. When you are done read it again. When you done rereading it keep it on your desk where you can grab it when in a hurry when you need it.
  2. If you have a support contract with Oracle don't hesitate to use it. The support people are, in general, helpful and willing to "hold your hand" while you address problems.
  3. Join the International Oracle Users Group and try to attend as many of their meetings as you can.
  4. Get a set of data base monitoring scripts so you can identify trends in performance and disk space consumption. If the budget allows buy a commercial product and the support that comes with it. If the budget doesn't allow you can find some free monitoring scripts on the web.
  5. Get a copy of the Oracle Backup and Recovery Handbook by Rama Velpuria (sp?). This is also an Oracle Press book.
  6. Get a copy of a good book on Performance Tuning. Oracle Press has one, Coriolis has one, and O'Reilly has one. My personal preference is the Corrigan and Gurry book that was published by O'Reilly, but YMMV.
  7. Start a formal training program with some combination of classroom and CBT training.

regards

Jerry Gitomer