How do we run one Oracle instance from two servers ?

From: Stephen Vear <vears_at_logica.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:52:04 +0100

We have 2 NT servers with a shared disk array. We want to run the database on one server and then in the case of H/W problems to be able to run the database on the second server. Of course it has to then access the same database files on the shared disks.

How do I get the second server to 'know about' the database that was created via an Oracle environment on a different server? This involves such things as getting a Start Database service created locally.

The 'solution' that we have thought up is rename the files, re-run the database generation script on the new server, and then replace the new files with the original ones. I can't help feeling that this is not the correct way to do this....

TIA
Stephen Vear
vears_at_logica.com Received on Wed Mar 03 1999 - 10:52:04 CST