Re: Locking Problem

From: Oracleguru, Suresh Bhat <oracleguru_at_mailcity.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 16:42:03 GMT

Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in article <920409422.28099.2.nnrp-12.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
> You might consider changing your pseudonym,
That's none of your business Mr. Lewis. Its not just a pseudonym, I have a small non-dynamic website that I may use in the future for work. Just remember that every Oracle person strives to be the best and acquires new knowledge everyday.

Who will remember the website that does not have oracle in it for oracle related work ?

I thought British were civil.

> Only the rows meeting the WHERE clause are locked.
That is True. But then you try to do something like

   update table1 set column1 = 'xyz'

without a where clause in another session without commiting in the first session, then what happens. It appears that the table is locked, even though the affected rows are locked. So it all depends on the situation and thats what the question was about.

Also check the answer from Ross Mohan. You may learn something new. I did !!!

Oracleguru
www.oracleguru.net
oracleguru_at_mailcity.com