Re: Oracle 8.0.5 and Date formats

From: Jason Lee <jlee.no.spam_at_rri-medtech.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 14:51:04 GMT

On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:11:07 GMT, tkyte_at_us.oracle.com (Thomas Kyte) wrote:

>in 8.0 and less you will have to use the ALTER SESSION command (why is that not
>a good solution?). relying on the nls_date_format init.ora parameter is *not* a
>good idea.

We have tried to develop our system to be as portable as possible so as not to tie ourselves to one particular RDBMS. The project manager won't even let us use stored procs, even though they would undoubtedly speed up some of our transactions. Given the constraints management has put on us, putting an ALTER SESSION in our code is not really an option, although we may have to revisit that policy...

>in 8.1 and above you are able to

We just licensed 8.0.5 in the past two or three months, I believe. What are our upgrade options here? Does the typical license agreement cover an upgrade such as this? Is this something I should have management look into?

>create or replace trigger data_logon_trigger
>after logon
>ON DATABASE
>begin
> execute immediate
> 'alter session set nls_date_format = ''yyyy-mm-dd'' ';
>end;
>/

Thanks for your help...
Jason Lee | 186,000 miles per second. It's not just a jlee_at_rri-medtech... | good idea. It's the law. (Please doctor the addy appropriately) Received on Wed Mar 03 1999 - 08:51:04 CST