Re: Locking Problem

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 09:58:08 +0000

Setting a correct value for initrans is important.

When initrans space is not available it is the only time Oracle locks at block level as oppose to row level. This can cause transactions which use no keys in common with another transaction to lock out each other.

The default value for initrans is one so only enough space if reserved for a single user. More space will be used but only if it is available. If it's not you will lock the block. This can lead to deadlocks.