Re: Programmer forced into DBA Role, Help?

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 23:31:57 -0600

All good advice. Get the training.

In the meantime, here is Backup & Recovery in a nutshell:

If your system crashed and burned, could you re-build the database from some other source? If not, you need to be able to restore the database from a backup.

Can you afford to lose all updates by all users since the last backup? If not, you need to be in ARCHIVELOG mode.

Can you afford the downtime to take cold backups? If not you need hot backups; this is another reason to use ARCHIVELOG mode.

Do you have the hardware available to set up a backup & recovery testbed? If not, get away from there!