Re: DBAs: How much overtime?

From: MMK Productions <nothanks_at_repltothegroup.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:17:42 -0500

Avg is about 5 to 6 hrs, week, a lot more during upgrade/migrate time. Don't count on comp time - However, I never come in reg time after a late night, also a nice long lunch the next day too.

To me it was not the 40+ hours, it was the 24x7 beeper duty, you are never really "off", app people rotate coverage, small shops have 1 DBA.

So, you are out with the family, far from home, forgot your laptop, get beeped, call back, time to figure out it is REALLY bad, now you have to stop everything and go home. Very real scenario, and it really "****"s - a lot!

I made them give me a phone instead of a beeper, because the first thing you do after you get beeped is look for a phone. Received on Tue Mar 02 1999 - 22:17:42 CST