Re: Oracle 8.0.5 and Date formats

From: Jason Lee <jlee.no.spam_at_rri-medtech.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 22:36:08 GMT

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 22:59:37 +0100, "Arjan van Bentem" <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl> wrote:

>Permanently? You cannot, as any user setting overrides the server setting. One
>could set NLS_DATE_FORMAT on the server (any Unix user might simply override
>it in .profile) but an ALTER SESSION would be the only fool proof option I
>guess.

I will be doing this on the server. I have full access to the server. It's just that our DBA and I have been unable to determine where to make that setting. Can I assume then that we can change that variable from OEM and make the change permanent? That's what we really need to do anyway...

>Note that the factory default date format uses MON, not MONTH, which implies
>that Oracle would expect JUL, not JULY like you typed. However, as Oracle uses
>some logic to try other formats when the given one fails, July is bound to be
>accepted as well.

True. My bad. Thanks for your help...

Jason Lee | 186,000 miles per second. It's not just a jlee_at_rri-medtech... | good idea. It's the law. (Please doctor the addy appropriately) Received on Tue Mar 02 1999 - 16:36:08 CST